Friday 9 October 2009

let them eat cake

Been a bit miserable of late (as my friends will know - sorry everyone!) but the one thing that always makes me more chirpy and helps me forget the world is cooking. It's cold and grey outside and I am on my last day of my two week break from work. So there's nothing for it but to head into the (half painted kitchen - I can't reach the top bit - any offers from tall people gladly accepted) and bake a cake. I'm not sure what it says about me that I always have the ingredients to hand to bake a cake - I'd like to think it's because I'm nurturing and motherly but I think it's probably more to do with greed! My favourite cake recipe is a drizzle cake by Nigel Slater. I've made this cake so much I know the recipe off by heart - give it a go and let your home fill with the scent of delicious cakeyness (not a word but you know what I mean).

200g butter, 200g caster sugar - cream together well until light and fluffy. Add the zest of either 1 orange or 2 large lemons. Add 3 eggs. Stir well. Fold in 200g self raising flour. Spoon into either an 8 inch round cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin that you've buttered and lined with greaseproof paper. Put in a preheated oven at 180C (or 160 fan) for 40 - 50 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Meantime measure out 125g demerara sugar or granulated sugar and add the juice of whichever citrus fruit you've used. Stir well til the sugar crystals dissolve. Stab cake with a fork or skewer all over and pour over citrus & sugar mix. Leave to cook before you remove from the tin or it might fall apart. Eat as a teatime treat or a delicious dessert with cream.... and then feel a whole lot more cheerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment